Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Whatever Works at Tribeca Film Festival

About a month from now, the Tribeca Film Festival will begin on April 22. I’ve never been to the famed event, founded by Robert De Niro, but I am planning on attempting to make it into a few showings. It will have 86 feature length films and 46 short films from 33 different countries.

High on everyone’s list is the new Woody Allen film, “Whatever Works,” starring Larry David. The film is billed as Allen’s Big Return To New York after years of shooting in exotic places. I’m not trying to knock David (he created Seinfeld and stars in HBO’s hilarious “Curb Your Enthusiasm”), but the idea sounds stale as the English Muffins in my cupboard. Larry took his whole onscreen persona from Allen, and to great effect. But the two teeming up seems far too obvious, and Allen’s most recent film, “Vicky Cristina Barcelona,” wasn’t exactly a winner.

And neither are the quotes in the ABC news story about “Whatever Works:”

"A lovely idea of showing my film in a film festival in my own city. It's very exciting," Allen said.
Tribeca Film Festival co-founder Jane Rosenthal describes Whatever Works as a "uniquely funny addition to his body of work".

Read more about the film here:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/03/2505927.htm

P.S. I just looked up ticket prices for the Tribeca Film Festival, and packages range from $225.00 to $425.00. And those aren’t even VIP packages. Unless I get a press pass, I’m going to have to pass. See ticket prices at: http://www.tribecafilm.com/festival/tickets/packages.html

No comments:

Post a Comment